The Windows 10 operating system has many interesting features, not only in terms of functions and programs, but also in terms of aesthetics. One of the elements that most attracted the attention of the thousands of users of this operating system was a couple of blue arrows in some of his folders , files, programs and shortcuts. Should You Worry?
What do the blue arrows mean?
Since updating the world's most used operating system, many people have been detailed and curious enough to research what these mean two blue arrows that are observed in the file explorer .
There is no need to worry! There are no viruses or errors in the folder, documents or programs, these arrows are used for indicate what the folder contains is compressed . What is needed? Important question: This is extremely helpful when it comes to optimizing how you save space on your computer's hard drive.
Can they hide?
For many people this indication is likely to be annoying or unsightly. So, if you decide you don't want to keep seeing this pair of arrows on each of your folders, here you can learn a series of simple steps to do so.
Enable or remove file compression
For starters, if you want to start saving space on your hard drive and using this useful tool, you can do it right click on a folder of interest and then click Properties.
- A window will open where you can see a button that will allow you to access the folder's advanced options.
- Check the box " Compress content "to save space.
- Click "OK" and then apply the changes to all subfolders and files contained in the selected folder.
If, on the other hand, you don't have much interest in keeping this type of configuration on your computer, you just have to follow the same procedure. The only difference is that instead of checking the box, you will uncheck it for suspend file compression and hence, the space on your hard drive would suffer greatly.
Hide the blue arrows
Finally, if you want to keep the settings, but find it unpleasant to see that pair of blue arrows above the folder, don't worry! There is a more than perfect alternative for this type of case, which can be summed up in three words: registry editor.
- After logging into the registry editor, you can access the following path: « HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer «
- Then, right click on the "Key" option, go to New and then click on Key.
- You can name the new key as " Icone shell ".
- Repeat the second step, except that when you go to New, this time you will select "String Value". Name 179 and then set empty.ico to 0
At this point, it's time to proceed with the creating a blank icon . To perform this action, you can use Paint. It is recommended that it be a PNG image, 16x16. After all this procedure, you will need to proceed to convert it to ICO format . Name this icon "empty file".
In the final part of this procedure, it is important to note that the administrator permission to complete the operation . Once the icon has been created, you will need to access the « C: | Windows | System32 «And paste the icon.
- Now log into the command prompt with admin rights.
- Proceed to enter the command shown below: «taskkill | f | im explorer.exe «
- Then run the command " start explorer.exe "
- To finish, you will need to delete the registry key, as well as the icon created earlier.
This way the arrows will have disappeared from your folders, however you will keep the settings you want they will save space on your hard drive . The procedure can be a little tedious, but if it really bothers you to see those arrows without having to remove the settings to compress the files, it will be worth it. Put it into practice!