On Instagram you can find a large number of photos and videos with interesting and funny content every day; but at the end of the day these publications usually consume a large part of our cell phone's mobile data. If this has happened to you, don't worry, Instagram has an option that allows you to save mobile data; In this tutorial we will explain how to save and reduce the cost of data on Instagram.
How much mobile data is consumed on Instagram?
Viewing about 30 photos on the Instagram feed means spending about 15MB; but the reality is that when we use Instagram we see more than 30 photos, even some users are able to view up to 120 photos, if this is your case you would spend 60 MB, not counting the high consumption generated by videos .
The stories and live shows they are the ones that generate the most data consumption; for example, according to ProAndroid, stories containing about 3 videos consume about 11 MB and direct ones consume 10 MB per minute; If you do a live for 15 minutes you will spend around 150 MB.
Steps to save and reduce the cost of mobile data on Instagram:
- Enter the application and log in. If you are having trouble or have forgotten your password, you may be interested in knowing how to recover it very easily.
- Once inside the main page, go to the bottom right corner and click on your profile photo .
- In your profile you should go to the top right corner and click on three horizontal stripes .
- When a menu appears, you need to select the option "Configuration" which is located at the bottom.
- In the new menu, click on the option "Account" which has a bust icon.
- In the "Account" section you will find several options, locate and select "Use of mobile data" .
- You will immediately see two options on your mobile phone screen that will allow you to use less data; The first option "Data backup" (on iPhone "Use less data") allows Instagram videos not to load automatically to use less data. Activate this feature by flipping the switch to the right, you will notice that this option is active when the switch automatically turns blue.
- The second option "High resolution multimedia files" allows you to choose when the files should be played in high resolution, so you have three options "Never" Instagram will not show you videos and images in high resolution, "WiFi only" the content in high resolution will appear only when you connect to WiFi or "Cellular data + WiFi".
With these steps, Instagram offers its users the opportunity to save mobile data by preventing the upload of high resolution images and videos. But keep in mind that by activating these options the experience while using Instagram with mobile data will be different because the photos and videos will be uploaded with a lower quality.
Tips for saving mobile data when using Instagram:
- View stories and videos only when connected to WiFi, also upload any content to your Instagram account when connected to WiFi.
- If you need to upload photos and videos with mobile data, lowers the quality and weight to the maximum in this way you won't have to spend too much mobile data. Using the original resolution you will have to spend a lot of mobile data.
- If you want to view the publications of a specific user, search directly for his profile ; never search for its content among the publications of the users you follow, because you will unnecessarily consume mobile data.
- For many users who do not have access to a WiFi network, it is practical to upload content from their PC, even browse from its web version and view other users' stories from it.
- Use your phone browser to check Instagram Stories, that is, instead of opening your profile from the application, log into Instagram using the browser. You will surely ask yourself, what is the difference, if I still use mobile data? When you open Instagram from the browser, the stories are not played automatically , as if it happens in the application, but you can click on the stories that interest you and ignore the ones that do not interest you.