Most people spend hours in front of the screens of their electronic devices without thinking about the risks that the blue light emitted by these devices can cause; or even many don't even know that their devices emit blue light. This article will explain What does the blue light emitting from a device's screen mean? and what dangers this light causes.
What does the blue light that comes out of a device's screen mean?
The sun is the main source of light, exposure to this light, without excesses, is usually beneficial to health. But in this article we will talk about the artificial blue light emitted by electronic devices, such as smartphones, tablets, lamps, laptops, televisions and monitors; which is highly energetic e harmful to health .
The light emitted by these devices may appear white at first sight and this is because it is composed of different colors which give the impression that it is white; but the reality is that white light is about 25% blue light.
So blue light consists of electromagnetic particles traveling in waves; There are two types of blue light, turquoise and violet. The latter (purple) is the one present in electronic devices, and is the most harmful because it has a wavelength of 380 to 450 nm.
As blue light waves are short, have higher energy; therefore they cause serious damage to eyesight. Blue light energy penetrates directly into the retina because the eye does not have a filter designed to prevent the harmful effects of this light.
Risks produced by the blue light emitted by the screens of electronic devices
- age-related macular degeneration ( AMD ); disorder that slowly destroys vision. Although this disorder is associated with age, the use of electronic devices increases the risk of suffering from this disorder.
- Fatigue and visual stress which can also cause headaches, dry or watery eyes, red eyes, among others.
- Interrupts the sleep cycle; being exposed to blue light for long hours at night decreases the production of melatonin, a hormone responsible for notifying the body that it's time to sleep. When this hormone decreases, users experience insomnia.
- skin damage ; to the point of causing premature aging or skin blemishes.
- cataract formation
- It accelerates the process of blindness in some individuals.
- Some experts say it increases the risk of cancer.
Tips to avoid damage from exposure to this type of light
- Wears glasses designed to block blue light while using the devices. These glasses are available in various stores including Amazon or AliExpress.
- Turn on dark mode on your Android devices, iOS devices, and any other screen you use during the day after 19pm. If they are not available, many apps also have a dark version. Also find out if your computer or TV has filters to mitigate this light.
- Reduce the time you spend using these devices, it is recommended to spend a maximum of 6 hours a day in front of these devices.
- Eat foods rich in antioxidants; among these we can mention the kiwi, the orange, the courgette, the pumpkin, the melon, the mango, among others.
- Turn down the screen brightness of all your Android, iOS, and any other devices you use, especially at night.
- To reduce eye strain when using a PC or mobile device, try lubricating your eyes naturally by constantly blinking.
- Many specialists recommend the use of sunscreen if you intend to spend many hours in front of the screen of a device such as a PC, laptop or TV.
- If you have a mobile of this brand, you can activate the visual rest mode or the night mode in Huawei .
- Use your tablet or smartphone a safe distance from the face.
Nowadays electronic devices are necessary, that's why we are all exposed to the blue light they emit on a daily basis. While it is difficult to avoid using this equipment, we can take steps to reduce the risk caused by the blue light emitted by a device.